A Message from the Winchester Police Department Distributed by: John Guilfoil Public Relations JGPR.net | 617-993-0003 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Monday, Jan. 23, 2017 *Joint Press Release* Winchester Police Arrest Massage Therapist on Multiple Counts of Indecent Assault and Battery Police Asking Any Other Potential Victims to Come Forward Alexander Osher WINCHESTER – Winchester Chief […]
Massachusetts recently enacted a law which assists victims of harassment. The law, Chapter 258E, allows victims to obtain Harassment Prevention Orders (HPO) against their harasser. HPOs are similar to 209A Abuse Prevention Orders; however, they may be obtained by anyone and not just those who are in certain types of relationships. Harassment Prevention Orders can be a useful tool against chronic bullying. If you are a victim of harassment, contact Winchester Police.
The basis for Harassment Prevention Orders is as follows:
- Three acts of intimidation, abuse or property damage that are willful and malicious conduct, aimed at a specific person with the intent to cause fear, intimidation, abuse or damage to property and which does result in fear, intimidation, abuse, or damage to property; or
- Involuntary sexual relations. A forceful or threatening act that causes another to involuntarily engage in sexual relations; or
- Specific crimes. A violation of the crime of indecent A&B on a child under 14 or on a person 15 and over or A&B or indecent A&B on a person with mental retardation; or rape, rape of a child, statutory rape; or assault with intent to rape; or stalking or criminal harassment; or drugging to engage in intercourse.
Components of Harassment Protection Orders:
- Refrain from abusing or harassing the plaintiff.
- No contact (unless authorized by the court).
- Remain away from the plaintiff’s household or workplace.
- Pay compensation for any losses suffered as a direct result
of the harassment (e.g., loss of earnings, property damage,
replacing locks, medical expenses, obtaining an unlisted phone
number and reasonable attorney’s fees).