Matthew McAveeney was captured in Belmont North Carolina and charged with being a fugitive from justice. McAveeney will be transported back to Massachusetts and charged with murder and other offenses related to the death of his mother, Barbara McAveeney at the Parkview Condominiums. The Winchester Police Department would like to thank all agencies involved with […]
Archive for July, 2010
Massachusetts recently enacted a law which assists victims of harassment. The law, Chapter 258E, allows victims to obtain Harassment Prevention Orders (HPO) against their harasser. HPOs are similar to 209A Abuse Prevention Orders; however, they may be obtained by anyone and not just those who are in certain types of relationships. Harassment Prevention Orders can be a useful tool against chronic bullying. If you are a victim of harassment, contact Winchester Police.
The basis for Harassment Prevention Orders is as follows:
- Three acts of intimidation, abuse or property damage that are willful and malicious conduct, aimed at a specific person with the intent to cause fear, intimidation, abuse or damage to property and which does result in fear, intimidation, abuse, or damage to property; or
- Involuntary sexual relations. A forceful or threatening act that causes another to involuntarily engage in sexual relations; or
- Specific crimes. A violation of the crime of indecent A&B on a child under 14 or on a person 15 and over or A&B or indecent A&B on a person with mental retardation; or rape, rape of a child, statutory rape; or assault with intent to rape; or stalking or criminal harassment; or drugging to engage in intercourse.
Components of Harassment Protection Orders:
- Refrain from abusing or harassing the plaintiff.
- No contact (unless authorized by the court).
- Remain away from the plaintiff’s household or workplace.
- Pay compensation for any losses suffered as a direct result
of the harassment (e.g., loss of earnings, property damage,
replacing locks, medical expenses, obtaining an unlisted phone
number and reasonable attorney’s fees).